Back to the grind:
* Lightweight, Ali Funeka, was fined and suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday for testing positive for a banned diuretic after his March bout with Joan Guzman. Funeka was fined $35,000, suspended for nine months and forced to pay back the $15,625 for making weight after Guzman couldn’t.
* Heavyweight action returns to Los Angeles this Saturday, June 12th at the Palladium as well-regarded prospect, Andrey Fedosov, takes on veteran, Lance Whitaker and on the undercard, Damian Willis battles journeyman slugger, Lionel Butler. This will be a mixed MMA-Boxing card with ticket prices ranging from $34 (standing room) to $131 (ringside). Tickets can be purchased online at wwwLiveNation.com or by calling 1-877-598-8497. Tickets can also be purchased at the Palladium box office.
* TKO Boxing is putting on a good show this July 2nd at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California. The main event will match Demetrius Hopkins against Mike Arnaoutis and will be a televised ESPN Friday Night Fights card. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com. phone 800-745-3000) or the Citizens Business Bank Arena Box Office (909-244-5600). Ask about the discount offered for students, military, police and fire personnel,and senior citizens.
* Pittsburgh gets back in the boxing game on June 30th as Michael Acri Boxing Promotions presents “Summer Brawl.” The card will feature local talents with the main event of Pittsburgh’s lightweight, Rod Salka vs. Harold Orji in an eight-rounder. The card will take place at the VIP Tent at Heinz Field. Ticket prices range from $25 to $50 to $100 for ringside.
* Former Lightweight champion, Juan Diaz, has postponed taking his LSAT exam (Law School Admission Test) until after his scheduled July 31st rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez. Diaz, a graduate of the University of Houston-Downtown, was doing poorly on pre-tests and decided to put off the exam until he could focus 100% on his studying.
Have a good day and check back tomorrow for some choice, select grind…