The Grind is back!
* The genius behind HBO Boxing’s rapid decline to decimal point ratings, Ross Greenburg, has once again taken a swipe at the Klitschko brothers. In an interview with ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Greenburg says this: “I’m really souring on the heavyweights. There doesn’t seem to be any interest in the U.S. and there doesn’t seem to be any heavyweights besides David Haye who would have any juice in challenging the Klitschkos. We’re out of the heavyweight division. We’re not playing in that sandbox right now. It doesn’t make any sense for us. There is just very little interest in this country.”
Ross, buddy, how many knockdowns do you have to suffer before throwing in your own towel? Your strategy of big names over quality bouts is simply not panning out.
Remember the days when HBO Boxing insisted on integrity and on not insulting the intelligence of the dedicated, hardcore fan? Given the option, there is no doubt that Greenburg would’ve decided to air Butterbean bouts over Lennox Lewis title defenses. Simply put, for HBO to snub the Heavyweight Champions of the World is patently ridiculous and it speaks poorly of the minds in charge of the network. Don’t be surprised if Greenburg runs HBO Boxing into the ground before he’s eventually let go.
Remember back in the DiBella days when a 1.9 rating was something to be ashamed of, instead of something to be celebrated and publicized?
* Floyd Mayweather Jr. made it all the way to #31 on Forbes’ Celebrity 100 list of the most powerful celebrities. He is listed at #6 among all athletes, between Roger Federer and David Beckham. Manny Pacquiao was listed at #55 overall and at #12 among athletes.
Forbes lists Mayweather’s one-year pay as 65 million dollars as compared to Pacquiao’s 42 million. Seeing that many recognize both as similar draws, one has to wonder why Manny has received 23 million less than Floyd…By the way, Manny Pacquiao is promoted by Bob Arum…ahem.
* Dumb Internet Headline of the Day:
From my old stomping grounds, Bleacher Report: “Pacquiao-Mayweather Agree to Terms of Megafight — Pretty Boy Floyd Has Two-Week Deadline.”
Umm….. <scratching head> Isn’t that kinda like saying: “Shakira Agrees to Sexy Hotel Party with Paul Magno — Shakira’s Approval Needed.”
* Teddy Atlas Quote of the Day:
” Ya gotta make peanut butter and jelly, Mike Arnaoutis!”
* An Addition to the Mayweather-Pacquiao Drama From Tim Starks:
“As for Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao, you’ll be surprised to learn that when I put a big asterisk on Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum’s statements about the fight’s terms being agreed to, I was right to do so. Arum, serial liar, was apparently lying. First, two outlets reported that the Mayweather camp remains preoccupied with the Pacquiao lawsuit against him. Second, Rafael said in his chat that not all terms had been agreed to. And hey, guess what! A representative from Pacquiao’s camp — albeit not the most reliable one — insists the lawsuit is going forward…”
Ok, everyone…Hope you like the new-look Grind…Comment here or send your thoughts, threats or love letters to The BTBC Fan Forum or my personal email: email@example.com.
Have a Happy and Safe Independence Day!