WBC President for Life, Jose Sulaiman, wants to make sure that he never loses the title of biggest douche bag in boxing…and he’s doing it, once again, in an effort to run interference for pet project, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Sulaiman told assembled media at his Mexico City office that if he had his way (and he usually does get his way), WBC Diamond Champ, Sergio Martinez, would meet the organization’s #1 middleweight contender, Marco Antonio Rubio, for the “right” to face Chavez Jr. for the world title.
“Martínez and Rubio both hit hard and it would be a fabulous contest for the Hispanic fans and the World Boxing Council would then recommend that the winner face Juli Cesar Chavez Jr.,” Sulaiman told the assembled Mexican media, Tuesday.
Hours later, though, Martinez promoter, Lou DiBella, told Boxingscene, “Sulaiman has assured me and [Martinez adviser] Sampson [Lewkowicz] that Chavez will be ordered to fight Martinez next. If the WBC ordered Sergio to fight Rubio, he would return the Diamond belt.”
Sulaiman and the WBC stripped Argentina’s Martinez of their world title in the 160 lb. division earlier this year after Martinez failed to defend his title against Germany’s Sebastian Zbik, the organization’s interim titlist. But rather than lose a good sanctioning fee, the organization simply issued Martinez their newly-created diamond belt.
Chavez Jr. would go on to beat Zbik for the WBC world middleweight belt and then proceed to pull out of his first defense on September 17 against Ronald Hearns, citing a cut hand brought about by a freak ceiling fan injury. It has been widely reported, though, that Chavez had been having weight issues stemming from his customary post-paycheck partying and eating binges. The second generation fighter is now set to take on Peter Manfredo Jr. in November.
Martinez, despite still being part of the WBC championship hierarchy, has repeatedly stated his desire to recover his world title belt, the same belt held by fellow Argentine, Carlos Monzon. Recognized by all boxing fans as the legitimate world champ at 160, Martinez will take on the UK’s Darren Barker October 1.
WBC number one contender, Marco Antonio Rubio, has been the organization’s mandatory challenger to Chavez’s belt since beating Canadian prospect, David Lemieux, in April of this year.
According to inside sources within the WBC, Sulaiman has previously stated his desire to keep world title belts on young, marketable fighters such as Chavez and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, in an effort to revitalize the Mexican boxing scene.
Follow us on our new Facebook Fan Page…Click “Like” to follow the source of Boxing’s True Independent Voice.