…Hump Day Grind…
* Antonio Margarito is set to meet with the Nevada State Athletic Commission Friday to ask that his license be reinstated. In a fair world, Margarito gets laughed out of the NSAC office. He’s never accepted responsibility for his actions and openly defied the intent of the suspension by fighting in Mexico where he mocked the hand wrap issue throughout the evening. However, boxing is not a fair world and, with Vegas salivating to host a Pacquiao bout, expect some odd things to happen. And when I say “Odd,” I mean odd as in fishy…like the bogus blood testing debate that took place a few weeks back.
* The James Toney-Randy Couture UFC circus is starting to kick off. I’m just dreading the MMA/Boxing debates that are bound to begin popping up everywhere. Toney-Couture is the equivalent of Magic Johnson taking on Reggie Jackson in a game of one-on-one basketball to determine which is better, basketball or baseball. If Couture wins…He was supposed to , this is his sport. On the flip side, if Toney wins…Man oh man, what a black eye for the UFC. Here’s a recent video of James Toney doing what he does best at his age:
* James Toney Quote of the Day: “David Haye is a momma’s boy…He’s gay.”
* Chris Arreola is back where he belongs: headlining an ESPN 2, Friday Night Fights card. He’ll be fighting Manuel Quezada on August 13th at Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario, California. Quezada is a former WBC Caribbean Boxing Federation Heavyweight Champ…just thought I’d mention that.
* Aside from the obvious Lopez-Concepcion bout, we have some good, interesting match-ups this weekend, notably: Mike Jones vs. Irving Garcia and Henry Lundy vs. John Molina.
* Erislandy Lara-William Correa is replacing Vicente Escobedo-Raymundo Beltran on Friday’s Telefutura card.
Grind…it does a body good.