…Belated, All-Star Grind…
* Rumors are hot and heavy that Shannon Briggs is being considered for a shot at Vitali Klitschko’s WBC heavyweight title. If the rumors are true, consider this a complete and total clown show that, unfortunately, is Klitschko’s best bet at being televised in the US. Another strong rumor has Vitali fighting Nikolai Valuev in October. Believe it or not, I’d rather see the Valuev fight.
* Eric Morel pulled out of Saturday’s title bout against Fernando Montiel. Aside from being an always interesting Mexico vs. Puerto Rico encounter, this would’ve been a very interesting stylistic match-up. Taking Morel’s place will be Panama’s Rafael Concepcion, a crude, tough fighter who will put up a fight, but will stand little chance of upsetting Montiel. Concepcion is also a bit of a billy goat and, given Montiel’s style, expect some head butt action to occur at some point.
* Lately, it seems that Bob Arum is obsessed with the great state of Texas. Any non-Mayweather fight involving Pacquiao will go directly to Dallas, as will a rumored Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Kelly Pavlik bout.
Freddie Roach/Alex Ariza/Top Rank fighters all seem headed to Texas…Texas, of course, is a state with an infamously lax commission. You know, just saying…
* Noteworthy weekend results: Brian Viloria SD10 Omar Soto….Jonathan Oquendo KO9 Eden Sonsona….Zack Page UD8 Kevin McBride…DeMarcus Corley TKO4 Damian Fuller…Nagy Aguilera KO1 Roderkick Willis…Luis Del Valle KO4 Pasqual Rouse
* Exclusive Goofiness from Mexican TV: Fernando Montiel and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. were providing in-studio analysis for the Juan Manuel Lopez-Bernabe Concepcion card on the Mexican telecast. After the bouts, the host decided to fill the extra time with some questions aimed at Montiel and Jr. The topics of Montiel’s great accomplishments and his future were brought up. At this point, Jr., who had been monopolizing every answer with his “expert” analysis, also decided to butt-in and speak for Montiel.
Fernando Montiel’s response was simply to sit back in his chair, fold his arms and shoot a dirty look at Jr., who was still chatting up a storm and on the edge of his chair…Then Jr. closed out his commentary regarding Montiel’s future and legacy by addressing an obviously annoyed Montiel, “right?”
Of course, it was at this point that the telecast ended.
The whole incident reminded me of some hyperactive, know-it-all kid at his dad’s work, just bugging the hell out of everyone around him…
* Don’t forget: The BTBC fan forum is alive and well…Tons of stuff to do and debates to engage in. The BTBC Fan Forum is boxing’s original and only troll-free message board created by the fans, for the fans…Give it a look, click HERE