By Geoff Poundes
This Saturday night in the Netherlands, American Demarcus Corley continues his stuttering career when he contests a “world title” fight with Dominican Republic native Luis Ernesto Jose. The fight takes place in the boxing backwater of St Maarten, perhaps in keeping with it’s world title classification – it’s sanctioned by the IBO and something called the UBC, which appears to be a couple of guys picking up sanctioning fees from a back-bedroom somewhere in Kansas.
Corley, a WBO light-welter titleist a decade ago, has gone 2-8 in his last ten fights, and at 37 his best days are clearly behind him. That said, he comes off a ten round points victory over previously unbeaten Gabriel Bracero, after which he picked up the NABF 140 pound belt, so he still retains a certain relevance.
The 36 year old Luis Ernesto Jose has earned his world title shot having been stopped early in three of his last four contests, and his 30-8, 25 KO record features a string of wins over novice opposition, punctuated by the odd excursion with quality fighters against whom Jose invariably suffers a beating. In March 2009, Lucas Matthysse saw him off in 2 rounds, which seems a more accurate indication of Jose’s quality than any of his victories.
For all the lunacy of the bout’s world title classification, Corley insists he’s about to pick up a belt and that he remains at the top table at 140 pounds and even 135, but he’s fooling nobody:
“The only thing on my mind is winning this UBC title at 140 and then I’m going down to 135 and making a campaign there. I want to fight Antonio DeMarco. He has the WBC title at 135. And if I can’t get him then I’ll stay at 140. My vision and my goal is to win the WBC title. And I plan on having it before this year is out”, he said.
“Like” us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for exclusives and other bonus material from Boxing’s Independent Media. You can also keep track of all the latest in boxing news and views by downloading our safe & free toolbar: